When your favourite designer posts progress on their latest knitting design. You immediately want to knit it and add it to your wardrobe; you wonder: When will it be published? Then the designer posts on their social media or their newsletter that the design is open for test knitters. How do you know if you should apply? And if you are picked, how does the process work during the test knit?

Before You Apply
When applying to be a test knitter, there are a few things to consider before signing up. Let’s go through the process.
What is the Duration of the Test Knit?
If the design is for a sweater, could you knit it by the date they need it done? How long did it take you to knit your last sweater? Depending on the project, it could take you weeks or even months to knit. Agreeing to knit this design could mean that you will have to set aside all other multicraftual making to give this project all of your crafting time, and then some.
Would you be able to complete the process around your work, family, and other obligations, or would you be stretching yourself too thin? If you have a very busy life, you could wait until this pattern is published and make it on your own time. However, if you have the time and can meet the deadline, then it would be a good time to sign up.
My Personal Experience
I was a test knitter for a shawl and was given about five weeks to receive yarn and knit the shawl. I found it was more than enough time for me. A few years later, I was interested in another test knit, but I knew I would not be able to complete it, as I had too many other commitments, so I passed.
I know the time needed for a three-skein shawl or sweater, but I could be given a year to knit socks and never finish them. So, based on previous projects, I determine whether the time period is enough for me to complete the project before I commit.

Do You Have the Materials or Skills Needed?
If the pattern uses worsted-weight yarn and has an intricate cable design, would you have everything you need to begin right away? Do you have a cable needle, or do you know how to do it without one? Do you have the yarn needed in your stash? Some designers partner with yarn companies to use their yarn and may provide yarn support for the pattern testing at a discounted rate (or sometimes free). If you need to order yarn, you need to factor in shipping time, which could add pressure on the time you have to knit. If you already have yarn in your stash, you may be happy to use what you have.
What if the project is for a sock with an afterthought heel, or another technique you have never done before? You’ll need to communicate that to the designer. Can you learn it during the process? Maybe. Or possibly the designer is curious to see how knitters with no experience with the technique understand how to make the project using their instructions. Be open with the designer and let them know any concerns you have.
My Personal Experience
I find it easiest to participate if I already have all or most of the yarn in my stash. I try to find a main colour, then I can buy any additional colours if needed. Searching through my stash is the easiest way to allow me to sign up and cast on.

Can You Communicate with the Designer on Their Chosen Platform?
If the designer wants to host the test knit on a space such as Discord, are you comfortable communicating there? As you go through the process, you will need to contact the designer if something doesn’t make sense or if you find an error in the pattern. You need to be able to clearly tell the designer what the issue is, so they can make changes on their end.
My Personal Experience
I find the method of communication key in being able to alert to problems. I find a Google Doc the easiest, as edits can be made in real time, but I’m also a gal who likes a good old email, so either works for me.

How Are You Compensated for Your Time?
Then we come to a rather tricky area: compensation for the test knit. This can vary widely. Many designers will offer the complete, edited pattern after it is published, while some offer additional free patterns as compensation for the time put in. Another perk may be receiving yarn support in the form of a partial or a full discount. It really ranges from designer to designer.
My Personal Experience
This is easy for me, because I would be purchasing the pattern regardless. With me (likely) having the yarn already in my stash, I am happy to use what I have for something I want to wear. Plus, as an added motivation, I must finish the project by the deadline, which, for my multicraftual self, helps me to the finish line.

What is Expected After the Knit?
So what are the expectations for after the project has been finished? Are you expected to post on social media or on spaces like Ravelry to show what size you made and the yarns you used in your process? Do you need to show the item on your body to show the ease you gave your garment?
An important part of any test for a designer is getting the pattern displayed in various yarns, on a variety of bodies, and in the full range of sizes the pattern is offered in. Test knitters who use social media, Ravelry, or other platforms to share what they have made can help designers promote their pattern. A designer may ask in their application form if you use social media, and they may use that to choose their test knitter participants.
My Personal Experience
While I’m not active on social media anymore, I do use Ravelry. I am happy to post there, choosing not to show my face, in case the image is used in other spaces for promotion. Personal choice, but that’s just me. I write as many notes as I can to help fellow knitters decide if the pattern and size are right for them.

Ok, Go! Be a Test Knitter!
If you have read all of the above and have the time, the skills, and the yarn (in stash or willing to purchase), then sign up for the test knit. I quite enjoy them. The community of testers can be a nice group to work with; learning and seeing how patterns change as others knit them is fascinating. Helping a designer bring their idea from their hands into the wider knitting world gives a sense of pride in being a part of the process.
The post Want to Be a Test Knitter? Here are a Few Things to Consider appeared first on SweetGeorgia Yarns.
