We knitters all seem to have a few precious skeins of yarn that have come home with us. Unique, special single skeins that take us back to another place. Whether sourced from yarn festivals, your favourite local dyer, or road trips where a yarn shop “happened” to cross your path, these skeins deserve a knitting project that brings us as much joy in the knitting and wearing as we felt finding them.
As we look forward to savouring every stitch and making new memories with a special skein—patterns that require a bit more attention while knitting—let us enjoy every yard, knowing a stunning accessory awaits as our reward.
So we wonder: what can we knit with this very special skein of yarn? Ksenia’s book, One Skein Knitting, provides us with a wonderful collection of projects designed precisely for special skeins of yarn.

What You Will Find Inside
Yarn & Colour Inspiration
The Table of Contents shows the projects by yarn weight, everything from lace weight to Aran. This makes the book very easy to browse if you have a specific skein of yarn you want to knit with. Abbreviations are at the end of the book, keeping the charts and written instructions tidy.
Ksenia also includes a Yarn Pairings classification for each project. This simple system lets you see at a glance which types of colourways work best with each pattern, from solid to tonal, lightly to highly variegated, and self-striping yarns.
Each accessory in the book draws inspiration from the plant world and features lovely texture; you’ll find Japanese lace, cables, Estonian braids, and nupps. Ksenia chose an absolutely lovely palette in bright and light oranges, pinks, greens, and whites.
The Patterns
The projects are suitable for adventurous beginners to intermediate knitters. Ksenia includes notes in patterns with suggestions on how to widen or lengthen the project if you have more yardage available and want to use up your whole skein. All patterns come with charts and written instructions.
The book includes eighteen patterns in total with five shawls, four cowls, two socks, two mittens, two scarves, a hat, a headband, and a mini scarf. The collection of patterns feels cohesive and attractive. While I found several personal favourites in this book, Charlotte from our SweetGeorgia team had a completely different set of projects that attracted her, and Anita was, of course, attracted to the beautiful lace socks.

A Sneak Peek at The Projects
So, without further ado, let me show you some of my favourite projects from the book and why!
Verba Cowl
We want to start with the absolutely beautiful Verba Cowl. We were happy at SweetGeorgia to offer yarn support with our beloved yarn base, SweetGeorgia Flaxen Silk Fine.
What I like about this pattern: I love this base for knitting summer garments, but I was not expecting the gorgeous stitch definition that shows up in the cables. I also love that the project starts with just a few stitches, so you can start “swatching” within the project itself. I really like doing this. I get used to the chart, then take time to wet-block when my project is 4″ / 10 cm long, still on the needles. If I need to switch needles and start over, it’s simple, and if I get lucky and get gauge on the first go, I can keep going!
What yarn would I use: of course, I would use SweetGeorgia Flaxen Silk Fine, or if wanting a warmer cowl, I might substitute SweetGeorgia Trifecta Fine.

Artemisia Headband
What I like about this pattern: it is the sister project to the Artemisia Scarf. I really like seeing how a similar pattern looks both lovely and different in two different yarn weights. Headbands are also a lovely and useful accessory to brighten many grey days.
What yarn would I use: SweetGeorgia Merino DK or SweetGeorgia Trifecta DK. While both are a good substitution for the suggested yarn, SweetGeorgia Merino DK would be easy to care for, even if it got entangled in the laundry by mistake. I also love all the yarns from the Trifecta base; I do happen to have less than half a skein of leftovers that I could use up in this lovely accessory.

Astilbe Mini Scarf
What I like about this pattern: lately, I have been noticing knitted mini scarves showing up everywhere on my Instagram feed. I am embracing this accessory as a great way to enjoy colour, and the Astilbe Mini Scarf has many elements I like, from an easy-to-memorize repeating pattern to a built-in i-cord edging, a design element I really enjoy in accessories.
What yarn would I use: to get something truly luxurious, I’d use SweetGeorgia CashLuxe Fine held double for a cloud-like accessory. I would also try swatching the same yarn on smaller needles, as a light, skinny mini scarf sounds just about right.

Vitis Mittens
What I like about this pattern: cables—beautiful cables—and a ribbed palm sound like the perfect combination for a set of fingerless mittens, very useful on my daily walks on rainy, not-too-cold winter days.
What yarn would I use: SweetGeorgia Tough Love Sock has a whole rainbow of colours to choose from; then again, I would be tempted to use one of my precious skeins from the SweetGeorgia Secret Stash club.

Myrica Hat
What I like about this pattern: two things I really love: cables and a fold-over ribbed hat. I am also a great fan of worsted-weight hats. The cabled hat’s stretchiness helps it fit both my younger kid’s head and mine, making it a versatile accessory to grab on the way out the door.
What yarn would I use: SweetGeorgia Merino Worsted is a lovely option with just the right shade to coordinate with that jacket you reach for every cold day.

School of SweetGeorgia
Most of the patterns in this beautiful book are geared towards adventurous beginners and intermediate knitters. If you want to brush up on and improve your knitting skills while enjoying the company of multicraftual makers, join us at SweetGeorgia + Co to keep learning!
Giveaway
Ksenia has kindly sent us a copy of her beautiful book to give away to our followers. To enter the giveaway*, visit Ksenia’s website, Life is Cozy, look at the patterns, and post a comment on the SweetGeorgia + Co Giveaway post with your favourite pattern from the One Skein Knitting book and the SweetGeorgia yarn and colourway you would use. We will use a random number generator and send One Skein Knitting plus one skein of SweetGeorgia yarn to the lucky winner.
*Giveaway opens Sept 28, 2026 and closes October 11, 2026.
Must be a member of SweetGeorgia + Co to enter.
The post Book Review: One Skein Knitting by Ksenia Naidyon appeared first on SweetGeorgia Yarns.
